Sunday, March 05, 2017

The Little Things

It was a simple trip to the grocery store.  We needed some basil and somehow the batch I had gotten just yesterday was already some sort of science experiment.  Hey, that's what penicillin is made from, right?  On the way there it starts to rain, of course.  Californians are funny when it rains.  Everyone sort of huddles in their car, or waits under the store overhang for the rain to stop.  It's just rain, we all shower right?  Some more than others, but still, we know when it comes right down to it, water is just not all that frightening.  It's like we become cats or something.

In any event, I push past all the cat people hovering at the overhang on my way in.  I make my way into the store and it is wall-to-wall people in there.  Now people to me, are like water to everyone else.  Not that they are going to hurt me, but I just don't like to be near so many all at once.  There is no basil of course, but I finally find a nice basil plant, no I can be the savior of our Zucchini soup.  So here I am with my basil behind this woman in the checkout line with like three things in her cart.

She smiles at me and waves me ahead of her.  I smile back and say, "But you only have a few things too," but she waves me by again.  Sometimes you need to let nice people be nice to you.  It makes them happy I think; at least that is what I tell myself, maybe I just want to be away from the cat people.  I went ahead and paid for my basil, but for the rest of my Sunday, I'm thinking that perhaps people are not so terrible.


No comments: